Hey football fans! The bowl season starts tomorrow. I better get my bowl preview out before it’s too late!
Below you will find basic information for each bowl including: name (I didn’t have room for all of the wacky sponsors, sorry), favorite, underdog, line based on the current version of my rankings, probability of an upset and date for the game.
That’s an awful lot of information and, to help you out, I thought I would summarize a few interesting points:
- I’m sure you’re all interested in what I have to say about the National Championship Game. The rankings have not been a fan of Auburn all season and, not surprisingly, I have Oregon as a ten point favorite over Auburn. The national perception is that the Pac 10 did not have a good year but my rankings have the strength of the Pac 10 as nearly equal to the strength of the SEC. Combine that with the fact that Oregon didn’t play many close games, compared to Auburn, who had several close calls, and you can see why my rankings have Oregon as the solid favorite.
- There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for this year’s BCS match-ups but the rankings do not see these games being as competitive as last year. Oregon and Oklahoma are favored by ten and fourteen points, respectively, and only the Rose Bowl has a line of less than five (TCU by 4.76). In contrast, none of last year’s games had a ten point spread (the Sugar Bowl was close at 9.74), three of the games had smaller spread than this year’s Rose Bowl and two were expected to be closer than a field goal.
- A lower-tier bowl that’s drawing a lot of attention is the Las Vegas Bowl, which features Boise State and Utah. Boise and Utah have been the strongest non-BCS conference teams of the BCS era. Both team’s regular seasons ended in disappointment. It will be interesting to see who rebounds for a good bowl showing. The rankings think it will be the Broncos by fourteen.
- Presented without comment: this year, there are 35 bowls, meaning that 70 of the 120 Bowl subdivision teams are above average.
- The title sponsors get wackier every year. Last year, my favorite was easily the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s St. Petersburg Bowl. Beef ‘O’ Brady’s is back but there are several other great options this season. The AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl is a classic (AdvoCare V100 is a diet supplement) and the BBVA Compass Bowl is pretty good too (until year realize that BBVA Compass is a holding company and not a compass manufacturer), but the title of best sponsor is clearly a dogfight between the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl and the Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman. (Do I lose points for the bad pun?)
Happy Holidays! Enjoy the bowl season!
|BCS National Championship Game||Oregon||Auburn||10.02||0.244||1/10/11|
|Sugar Bowl||Ohio State||Arkansas||6.53||0.326||1/4/11|
|Orange Bowl||Stanford||Virginia Tech||8.22||0.285||1/3/11|
|Cotton Bowl||LSU||Texas A&M||2.02||0.444||1/7/11|
|Capital One Bowl||Alabama||Michigan State||14.23||0.162||1/1/11|
|Gator Bowl||Mississippi State||Michigan||4.28||0.384||1/1/11|
|Outback Bowl||Florida||Penn State||8.65||0.275||1/1/11|
|Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl||Nevada||Boston College||8.47||0.279||1/9/11|
|BBVA Compass Bowl||Pittsburgh||Kentucky||7.39||0.305||1/8/11|
|GoDaddy.com Bowl||Middle Tennessee State||Miami (Ohio)||0.22||0.494||1/6/11|
|TicketCity Bowl||Texas Tech||Northwestern||6.92||0.316||1/1/11|
|Chick-fil-A Bowl||Florida State||South Carolina||2.68||0.426||12/31/10|
|Liberty Bowl||Georgia||Central Florida||9.81||0.249||12/31/10|
|Sun Bowl||Miami (Fla.)||Notre Dame||4.33||0.382||12/31/10|
|Meineke Car Care Bowl||Clemson||South Florida||6.65||0.323||12/31/10|
|Music City Bowl||North Carolina||Tennessee||2.64||0.428||12/30/10|
|Pinstripe Bowl||Kansas State||Syracuse||4.76||0.371||12/30/10|
|Armed Forces Bowl||SMU||Army||3.27||0.41||12/30/10|
|Alamo Bowl||Oklahoma State||Arizona||2.53||0.431||12/29/10|
|Military Bowl||Maryland||East Carolina||14.12||0.164||12/29/10|
|Champs Sports Bowl||West Virginia||North Carolina State||2.29||0.437||12/28/10|
|Independence Bowl||Air Force||Georgia Tech||1.73||0.452||12/27/10|
|Little Ceasers Bowl||Toledo||Florida International||1.02||0.472||12/26/10|
|Poinsettia Bowl||Navy||San Diego State||2.17||0.44||12/23/10|
|Las Vegas Bowl||Boise State||Utah||14.67||0.155||12/22/10|
|St. Petersburg Bowl||Louisville||Southern Mississippi||2.79||0.423||12/21/10|
|New Orleans Bowl||Troy||Ohio||0.04||0.499||12/18/10|
|Humanitarian Bowl||Northern Illinois||Fresno State||6.35||0.33||12/18/10|
|New Mexico Bowl||BYU||UTEP||14.71||0.154||12/18/10|
Full week 14 rankings can be found at my personal website: